In the closing months of 1912, a group of Milwaukee businessmen met informally to discuss the formation of a new kind of community organization. By January 1913, they had organized themselves as the Rotary Club of Milwaukee and, two months later, were officially chartered as Club Number 57 in the fledgling Rotary International movement.
In 2008, in anticipation of the club’s centennial anniversary, RCM announced it would support a project that would both celebrate the club’s history of service and be a significant and lasting contribution to the community. The Milwaukee Rotary Centennial Arboretum, for which the club raised over $400,000 to help establish, will help reclaim the natural beauty of the Milwaukee River in the heart of the Milwaukee and become a crown jewel for the city.
In addition to the extraordinary projects presenting to the community, RCM celebrated the 100th anniversary of its founding from October 2012 to September 2013. We kicked off the celebration with a black-tie gala at the Pfister on September 29, 2012 (view photos here) and closed our centennial year with the opening of the Milwaukee Rotary Centennial Arboretum in September 2013.
Throughout the year, we remembered the many men and women who moved both our club and our community forward over the last hundred years – and we will look forward to great things in the next hundred years.